Rothes Kirk is the usual name for Rothes Parish Church of Scotland (Scottish charity No. SC016616) which is situated in Seafield Square, Rothes, AB38 7AS.
Sunday services are at 11:30 a.m. Other services are held as intimated.
The parish of Rothes includes Rothes village, the Glen of Rothes, Dandaleith and since 1781 Orton and Inchberry which used to lie in the former parish of Dundurcas.
The Church has stood on its present site in the centre of the village since 1782 when the previous church, dedicated to St. Laurence, which stood in the Kirkyard in Burnside Street, became dilapidated. At the same time as the present church building was erected the former church at Dundurcas was suppressed and amalgamated with Rothes. However the origins of Rothes Kirk date from the former Castle chapel of the 11th Century.
Inside the main door there is a list of the ministers of Rothes and of Dundurcas since the Reformation.
Rothes is typical of an 18th Century Scottish country church with the pews arranged on three sides around the high pulpit on the long wall. This is representative of the people gathered around the Word of God. God’s Word is still preached from the pulpit by the minister today. Communion, or the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, is served by the Elders to the congregation in their seats as the whole congregation is symbolically seated at the Lord’s Table (it is not an altar.) A stained glass window designed by Fiona McInnes celebrates the link between Church and community; and there is a Memory tree that was made by a coppersmith in Forsyth’s at Rothes.
As well as being the sanctuary in which the community gathers for the worship of God Sunday by Sunday it is also the focal point of many of the great events in the lives of our people. Here children and adults are baptised, couples are married and the funeral services for deceased parishioners are held. There is a Rest Room in the church where the departed rest until the time of the funeral service. After a funeral service it is still the practice for the minister and mourners to walk in procession from the Kirk to the cemetery for the final committal.
Our Kirk Hall is used extensively by church and community organisations and for example there is a Woman’s Guild and Boys’ Brigade Company. There is also an active Sunday school. Every Monday morning there is fellowship in the Kirk Hall over coffee and scones and there are also church and community coffee mornings on most Saturday mornings throughout the year.
In the past the parish church provided the local school and there are still links with schools today. There are many ways in which the church continues to minister in worship and pastoral care in our communities today.